Your kidneys are very important as they help to purify your blood of harmful toxins, while ridding your body of excess fluids and uric acid. However, there are some prescription medications and off-the-counter drugs that are known to cause damage to your kidneys. These drugs should be avoided as much as possible and they include also analgesic and antibiotics.
Here are the ten (10) drugs you should be weary of:
- Drugs used in treating heartburn like rabeprazol, pantoprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole and omeprazole.
- Most antibiotics and these include vancomycin, methicillin, sulfonamides and ciprofloxacin.
- Beware of COX-2 inhibitors, such as; celecoxib.
- Prescription medication for the treatment of viral infections, such as; HIV drugs – tenofovir and indinavir, acyclovir which is used in the treatment of herpes.
- Bipolar medications like lithium.
- Anti-inflammatory medications like infliximab which is used in treating Rheumatoid arthritis, also malaria drugs like hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine.
- Most analgesic drugs such as; non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) and acetominophen, including the following; naproxen, aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Anti-thyroid medications like propylthiouracil, which is used in the treatment of overactive thyroid gland. Chemotherapy medications, such as; cyclosporine, bevacizumab, pamidronate, mitomycin C, cisplatin, quinine, carboplatin, tacrolimus and interferons.
- Drugs used in treating seizures and anticonvulsant drugs, such as; trimethadione and phenytoin.
- Drugs used for the treatment of high blood pressure and hypertension, such as; captopril.
Source: Natural Medicine House