Pain in the neck is one of the most common health problems. Approximately 2 to 3 people are facing this pain at some point of their life.
The caused for the occurrence of this pain may be incorrect posture when sitting, reduced daily physical activity, work on the computer, stress and more.
This condition can limit the capability for normal and smooth execution of daily activities.
Learn all about neck pain and what life habits you need to change in order to get rid of it.
What are the possible causes of pain in the neck?
Neck pain can be:
– Acute (present for less than 12 weeks)
– Chronic (the pain is present for more than 12 weeks).
Causes for neck pain are:
1. Injury or stretching of some structure of the neck region (muscle, ligament, tendon).
This is the most common cause of neck pain. Risk factors that lead to clotting or stretching the neck muscles and the occurrence of neck pain include: stress, work-related sitting, poor posture when sitting and walking, poor sleeping position and others.
2. Disc herniation
Due to disc herniation (structure located between two vertebrae) and pressing a certain nerve pain in the neck may occur. In this condition the pain often spreads to other parts of the body that are inverted from the affected nerve.
3. Degenerative intervertebral disc disease in the neck area (cervical spondylosis).
It is a disease that affects older people.
Throat infection by certain microorganisms can cause swelling of the cervical lymph nodes, which are often painful, especially to the touch.
Other causes of neck pain are: Impaired circulation in concoction of blood vessels, spinal stenosis, rheumatoid arthritis, torticollis, migraine, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoporosis, heart attack, fibromyalgia, cancer and meningitis.
How to make an accurate diagnosis?
In order to make an accurate diagnosis your doctor needs to take a thorough history. The medical examination should obtain information about what type of pain it is, when it first occurred, if there are other accompanying symptoms and signs, whether a particular position improves or worsens the pain etc.
If necessary, you can make additional examinations such as computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, electromyography (EMG) and others.
How to soothe neck pain at home?
1. Apply hot or cold compresses on the troubled areas. Experiment in order to find out which type of coating will help you the most because these coatings affect each person differently. Whether you put hot or cold coatings, it is necessary to let it act from 15 to 20 minutes. The procedure should be repeated on every 2 to 3 hours.
2. Exercise regularly. Daily exercise and movement of muscles can help you get rid of the pain in the long run. Exercises for strengthening the neck muscles can especially help when it comes to neck pain of chronic type. See the following exercises:
Put warm compresses to the neck, before you start exercising. It will help you to easier move your neck. After the exercise apply cold compresses.
Practicing exercises for the neck muscles are not recommended when the pain is affecting you very strongly.
3. Massage yourself. Massage is a great way to relax neck muscles and getting rid of the pain.
Watch the video:
4. Get rid of stress. Stress is the biggest culprit when it comes to pain in the neck and back. Therefore, practice exercises for relaxation and meditation.
5. Quit smoking. Smoking reduces blood flow and delays the recovery. Therefore, reduce smoking or quit it completely.