If you have an acidic body, you should know that you have an unhealthy body. An acidic body will create the perfect environment that allows bacteria, illness and yeast to develop. That is not all. It will set into motion many other processes that cause harm to your body. Excessively acidic body will also have the minerals removed from bones and vital organs so as to neutralize the acid and eliminate it. This causes depletion in the mineral reserves in your body. So your body will become deficient in minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, and sodium. This can result in damage to your body that continues for years without you knowing it, until the mineral levels become very low and cause acidosis.
Do you know how much acid-forming food you are consuming every day? The grains you eat, the dairy, the sugar and meats you consume daily are all acid forming. At the same time your body is regularly producing acidic waste products due to metabolism. It is essential for your body to neutralize and excrete this harmful waste. The most effective way you can do so is by taking more and more alkaline foods.
Mild Acidosis (poor pH balance) can cause the following health problems:
1. Immune deficiency
2. Inflamed sensitive cavities and gums
3. Yeast fungal overgrowth
4. Lumbago, sciatica, and stiff neck
5. Suffering chronic fatigue and low energy levels
6. Respiratory problems, coughs, and shortness of breath
7. Diabetes, obesity and weight gain
8. Cardiovascular damage along with blood vessel constriction and oxygen reduction
9. Heart problems, elevated heart rate, and arrhythmias
10. Infections of the kidney and bladder
11. Premature aging
12. Acceleration in free-radical damage
13. Vomiting, nausea and diarrhea
14. Osteoporosis, weakening of bones causing brittle bones, bone spurs and even hip fractures
15. Joint pain, muscle aches, and buildup of lactic acid
16. Headaches, sleepiness, and confusion
17. Acne and allergies
Body’s pH Balancing Power
Your body has the power to balance pH, but the process itself can cause harm. All our body fluids and tissues will normally have an alkaline pH. But stomach is an exception. While all our body systems have a widely varying pH range, blood has a relatively fixed range. The body systems can have their pH range change in order to maintain the pH level of the blood. Our blood must always maintain a pH range of 7.35-7.45.
When your body system turns excessively acidic, your blood starts taking special alkaline-forming elements from your digestive enzyme system found within the small intestine. This will then affect your digestion because it interferes with the environment required for effective digestion.
So our body is capable of adjusting the pH to healthy levels by itself. But this self-adjusting process can be damaging to our body systems. In fact, if our body reaches a stage where it has to self-adjust the pH, it can cause other health problems.
What is Your pH Level?
You should have a pH test to help find out what is the current acidification level in your body. So what is the healthy range for your pH level? If it is between 6.75 and 7.25, it means your acidic level is normal. pH level of 7.36 is considered as the optimal level.
Do you know that it is easy to tell if your food is acidic or alkaline by its taste?
Lemon is a unique fruit. Most of us think that it is acidic. It may be an acidic fruit, but when it enters our body, it becomes an alkaline forming food. Digestion causes oxidization of acids into water and carbon dioxide, which prevents acid condition in your body.
You should increase your intake of iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and sodium because they are referred to as the primary alkalizing minerals. You should consume alkaline-forming foods which contain high amounts of these minerals.
Usually, most foods will have both alkaline and acid minerals. But if a food has higher concentration of acidic minerals, it is called acidic. And the same applies to alkaline foods.
Your Body & Its Limitations
Despite our body’s capability in maintaining pH balance, there is a limit to how much it is capable of compensating for acid imbalance. So the food you take is extremely important for your body’s acid-alkaline balance.
When our body tries rebalancing the internal body environment, it causes so many types of general malaise and diseases.
If you consume a diet containing acid-forming foods like grains, meat, sugar, and dairy, your body will become more and more acidic. On the other hand, if you consume lots of alkaline-producing foods like fruits, greens and sea vegetables, your body will become more alkaline.
If you want to be healthy, make sure to maintain a proper pH balance.
Food and Their Effect on Your Body
Different people respond to foods in different ways. It depends on your body’s dominant constitutional type.
– Oxidative Dominant Type – If you have this type of body, consuming fruits and veggies will make your body more acidic. But consuming proteins will cause it to become more alkaline.
– Autonomic System (ANS) Dominant Type – In this case, fruits and veggies will create more alkaline environment while proteins will cause more acidic environment.
Tips for Improving Alkalinity
Follow these tips to improve your body’s alkalinity:
1. Start by checking your pH on a regular basis
2. Eliminate acidic food from your diet
3. Drink lots of water (if possible, drink alkaline water whenever you can)
4. Use collard greens and lettuce leaves for wraps
5. Your traditional lunch can be replaced with a large green salad
6. Don’t drink soda, coffee or sugars. Drink herbal coffee, green drinks and herbal tea in their place
7. Avoid processed foods
8. Take smoothies and green juices more often
9. Coconut and almond milk can replace dairy milk
It’s All About Your Food
Once you improve your pH levels, you will notice that you start feeling more energetic and lively than before. It will also help in improving your overall health.
Let there be no doubt about it. Whatever you eat is going to directly affect your overall health.
In the word’s of Hippocrates Health Institute’s founder Ann Wigmore – Your food can either be the most powerful and safest form of medicine or it can be the slowest kind of poison.