Snoring is quite common, as it is found in more than 90 million people in the U.S. It can not only affect your own sleep, it can also disturb others.
Snoring occurs because the relaxed formations in your throat vibrate and create the noise. Usually, it is seen as a sleep disorder. But heavy snoring could lead to severe medical and social outcomes.
If you also snore, you should do everything required for getting rid of this problem. Rest is an essential component of your life, but snoring can affect your rest and peace.
There are many products available for treating snoring, but most are not effective. You cannot cure snoring with any miracle treatment. However, making some changes to your lifestyle and using simple home remedies could be the perfect solution to control it.
Use these Top 10 Home Remedies to Treat Snoring
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. It helps in easing our tissues along the respiratory passage. This helps reduce swelling, thus clears the air passage. It also helps in reducing soreness. This natural remedy should be used regularly for reducing throat vibrations and stopping snoring.
– Take 2-3 sips of the oil before sleeping.
– Mix 1-1/2 tsp each of honey and olive oil and take daily before sleeping.
Peppermint also has strong anti-inflammatory benefits. I helps in reducing swelling in the membranes of the throat and nostril linings. This helps in easing and smoothing your breathing process. As a remedy it helps in treating temporary snoring caused by allergy, or due to dry/cold air.
– Mix 1-2 drops of peppermint oil in 1 glass water and gargle before going to sleep. Don’t swallow it. Repeat daily until desired results are achieved.
– If you are snoring because of congestion and dry air, add some peppermint oil drops to humidifier half hour before going to bed and keep it on (eucalyptus oil is a good alternative).
– Let the humidifier run through the night. It will help in opening the airways.
– Rub some peppermint oil on the lower sides of the nose before sleeping.
Snoring is also caused because of nasal congestion. Inhaling steam is a great way to reduce congestion.
– Take a large bowl and add hot boiling water into it.
– Add 3-4 drops of tea tree/eucalyptus essential oil.
– Cover your head and face with a towel and inhale the steam through nose for up to 10 minutes.
Repeat daily until the congestion is gone.
Cardamom works as a decongestant and expectorant. It will help open congested nasal passages, thus reducing snoring.
– Add 1-1/2 tsp of cardamom powder to 1 glass warm water.
– Drink 1/2 hour before sleeping.
Repeat daily for reducing snoring.
Turmeric has powerful antibiotic and antiseptic properties. It is capable of treating inflammation and reducing heavy snoring. Use turmeric along with milk for treating snoring. This drink is going to help in breathing freely during sleep while also boosting your immunity.
– Add 2 tsp of turmeric powder in 1 glass warm milk.
– Drink 1/2 hour before going to bed and repeat daily.
Seasonal allergy causing inflammation of nasal passages cause be the cause if you snore only during a specific season. You can treat such temporary snoring using nettle due to its anti-inflammatory and antihistamine benefits.
– Take 1 cup boiling water and add 1 tbsp dried nettle leaves.
– Let it steep for 5 minutes and strain.
Drink it before going to bed.
7. Clarified Butter
Clarified butter, also called ‘ghee’, can help opening congested nasal passages because of its medicinal properties. It will help in reducing snoring and sleeping better.
– Just warm some clarified butter in the microwave.
– Put 2-3 drops of the warm melted clarified butter in each nostril using a dropper.
Repeat daily before going to sleep and in the morning when you get up.
Garlic will reduce the accumulation of mucus in your nasal passages. It also reduces inflammation of the respiratory system. If you are snoring because of sinus congestion, use garlic for getting relief.
– Chew 1-2 raw garlic cloves and take 1 glass water.
– Repeat daily before going to bed.
It will give you sound sleep while reducing snoring.
Chamomile has strong anti-inflammatory properties which are beneficial for stopping snoring. Being a strong muscle and nerve relaxant it can also help in easing your tense nerves and muscles near throat. This helps in enjoying a better sleep.
Honey is also a great treatment for those snoring. Its strong anti-inflammatory benefits help in reducing swelling near the throat which could be causing obstruction in the airways. It will lubricate your throat and prevent the occurrence of snoring vibrations.
– Mix 1 tbsp honey in 1 glass warm water and take before going to bed.
– Prepare herbal tea sand add honey as sweetener. Drink it after dinner.
Source: Top 10 Home Remedies