Eating a balanced diet is the desire of most people but at times keeping up with work demands and everyday living can put a dent on this.
Most people make up for not consuming their daily requirements of minerals and vitamins by taking multivitamin tablets.
There are a lot of multivitamin brands in the market but none as popular as Centrum. This multivitamin is a popular choice for most people and in most homes in America, it is supposed to provide you with all the nutritional benefits your body needs to carry out your daily activities.
Centrum is so popular in America that it is estimated that 1 in every 2 homes has someone taking the pill. However, Centrum is not as beneficial as everyone wants to believe.
This multivitamin brand produced by Pfizer racks-up over 189.6 million U.S dollars in sales annually and it is currently the second leading multivitamin brand in America.
The ingredients of Centrum can be broken down into three parts:
- Vitamin and minerals
- Binders and fillers
- Artificial colouring
- Vitamins And Minerals
The vitamins and minerals in Centrum include the following;
- Ferrous Fumarate, you are likely to be constipated with this iron supplement. As it increases the growth of flora in your gut that is harmful.
- Calcium Carbonate, the problem with this form of calcium is that it is the least absorbable calcium that you can find in the market. Just a little quantity is absorbed by your body.
- DL-Alpha Tocopherol, this is an artificial vitamin E that the body gets rid of thrice as fast as the natural form of vitamin E.
- Talc, this mineral consists of oxygen, magnesium and silicon. Talc also contains traced of asbestos which is a carcinogenic compound.
- Nickelous Sulfate and Tin, everyone is believed to have sufficient amounts of nickel and tin in their bodies so Centrum is actually not solving any problem.
- Binders And Fillers
- BHT – Butylated hydroxyanisole, this is a toxic form of preservative and it is known to be harmful to your kidneys, liver, lungs and thyroid gland. It is also known to cause cancer and tumors.
- Corn Starch, this binder does not have any nutritional benefit and it is usually comprises of GMO produced corn and it is now know that these products cause several health problems.
- Gelatin, if you are a vegetarian then you may want to avoid this multivitamin as it contains gelatin which is made from the bones of animals.
- Sodium Aluminosilicate, it can also lead to increased organ toxicity and failure.
- Sodium Benzoate, this preservative is known to be responsible for increased organ toxicity, damage and failure.
- Hydrogenated Palm Oil, the problem with hydrogenated oil is that it increases the carcinogenic nature of the oil as it becomes high in free radicals that can cause cancer and tumors.
- Artificial Colouring
Centrum like many other multivitamins have artificial colouring like FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake which is extracted from coal tar which is toxic and is known to cause adrenal tumors in laboratory test animals.
Choosing Very Healthy Multivitamin
It’s important to go for multivitamins that do not have artificial colouring and additives which offer little or no health benefits as well as preservatives that are actually more harmful to your body than good.
Centrum like many other multivitamins can cause respiratory issues, cardiovascular problems and as well hinder your cognitive functions and they are even known to cause some form of cancer.
While it is better to consume natural foods that offer all our daily nutritional requirements, if you need to buy multivitamins to help supplement your diet then you can try out the following multivitamins;
- Douglas Labs
- Garden of Life
Source: My Healthy Life Guide