A research conducted by Professor Jim Horne, who is a director at the Loughborough University, Sleep Research Centre, has stated that women need more sleep than men, because their brain is more complex than their male counterparts.
The Professor believes that when women are deprived sleep for a considerable period of time, they stand a higher risk of being depressed, hostile, psychologically distressed and even angry most times during the day, in contrast to men that were deprived the same hours of sleep.
In his book titled – Sleepfaring: A Journey Through The Science of Sleep, Professor Jim Horne, explained why sleep is very important.
In his book, he stated that a main importance of sleep is for the brain to rejuvenate itself and get back to peak condition. He said at when a person sleeps the cortex, which is that portion of the brain that caters for language and memory, sort of reboots, just like a computer and in effect it switches off from all the other senses, when you are asleep.
Professor Horne also said that the more of the brain functions that are deployed during the day, the longer an individual would have to sleep. He said that because women by nature are good at doing several things at the same time and multi-tasking, they would need more sleep than men, who are more regimented in their activities.
However, the professor suggested that those men who have very tasking jobs may need more sleep than the average man, but they will still not need as much as an average woman.
8 Hours Sleep Is Not Enough For Women
The norm has always been that everyone should get at least 8 hours of sleep daily. However, Professor Horne believes that because women have a very complex brain, they may need more than 8 hours of sleep daily.
Why Is The Brain Of A Woman More Complex Than That Of Her Male Counterparts?
The reasons put forward by Professor Horne on why women’s brains are more complex than that of men and therefore need more sleep are as follows;
- Women’s brains are wired differently to that of men.
- They can multi-task and therefore subject their brains to a tremendous amount of activity and stress.
- The longer women sleep, the better their brains are able to recover, due to its multiple activities.
Improving The Quality Of Your Sleep Is Easy!
To improve the quality if your sleep it is advisable for you to adhere to these simple tips.
- Set out a time for sleeping, your brain gets accustomed to this time and you will relax and sleep easily.
- Do not consume foods which act as stimulants, especially before going to bed. For example, coffee, sugary food, cocao and chocolate.
- You can try meditation exercises to help you to relax and get some decent hours of sleep. It is known that women’s brain work constantly and find it difficult to relax and sleep as a result. With meditation you will overcome this problem.
- Just like meditation, you can practice yoga exercises to help you relax and fall asleep on no time.
- By consuming between 1 to 3 mg of melatonin an hour before you go to bed, you will sleep very well.
Source: Healthy Food House