If there is one plant that is of great benefit to your overall health, it is aloe vera. This plant whose extract is a common feature for most cosmetic and beauty products has wonderful healing properties.
Aloe Barbadensis which is its botanical name is not just great as an air purifying plant which should be kept in your home to absorb harmful toxins in the air but it has excellent antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that can boost your health tremendously.
While this amazing plant is believed to have been introduced into the U.S in the late 18th to early 19th century according to researchers from the Medical Centre of the University of Maryland. It had actually been widely used by ancient Egyptians who fondly referred to Aloe Vera as the plant of Immortality.
So What Are The Health Benefits Of Aloe Vera?
Aloe vera has several health benefits but here are some that you should be aware of.
- Aloe vera has excellent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties which is effective in the treatment of sunburns, minor burns, cuts and bruises.
- This plant is effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis, fever, ulcerative colitis and even asthma.
- Aloe vera is rich in Lycoproteins which are potent anti-inflammatory compounds that are effective in reducing inflammation and easing pain.
- Aloe vera is rich in polysaccharides which helps in moisturising your skin and aid it’s rejuvenation.
- Aloe vera is effective in regulating your blood sugar levels which is great for sufferers of type II diabetes.
- Aloe vera is also effective in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and constipation.
- Aloe vera will regulate your cholesterol levels, help improve your oral health and combat canker sores.
- It is effective in the treatment of upper respiratory tract infections.
- Aloe vera is also known to be effective in the treatment of certain cancers.
Aloe vera also helps your body in the following ways:
- It improves digestion
- It helps combat obesity
- It boosts your metabolism
- Aloe vera helps to detoxify your body system
- Aloe vera will enhance your immune system
- It regulates your body’s alkalinity
- It protects your cardiovascular system
- It has excellent antimicrobial and antioxidants
You can make your own homemade aloe vera gel, here’s how to make it:
- Organic lemon juice
- Aloe vera
You will also need to have the following items as well;
- Food processor
- Cutting board
- Cotton towel
- Sterile jar
- Filleting knife
How To Prepare The Gel
- You need to avoid contamination and to do that you should wash your hands before you start preparing the gel.
- You then need to cut an aloe vera leaf and rinse it.
- Pat the leaf dry and chop off its edges by placing the Aloe vera leaf on your cutting board and using your filleting knife to cut it.
- You should also slice off the tough outer skin of the Aloe vera leaf with your knife.
- Chop the leaf to extract it’s gel.
- Put this gel in a glass jar.
- You should then pour your organic lemon juice in the jar to help preserve the Aloe vera gel.
- You can also blend your chopped aloe vera leaf on your food processor to derive an even smoother gel.
- You can refrigerate the gel for about seven days.
How To Use The Aloe Vera Gel
- You should consume about 30 ml of the Aloe vera gel thrice daily, in the morning before breakfast and on an empty stomach, before lunch and also an hour before you go to bed.
- The gel can also be used as an ointment or healing balm to soothe minor burns, sunburns and skin irritation. All you need to do is to gently massage the gel to the site of the skin irritation to get instant relief.
Source: Healthy Body and Tips