B12 is one of the eight essential B vitamins and is also called cobalamin because of the mineral that it contains. It helps us in the making of the DNA and red blood cells. Because of its important job, it is important to consume it regularly since our bodies can make it.
Vitamin B12 is made by a certain bacteria made in the digestive system of animal and it can be consumed the true animal product. That is one of the reasons why vegans often suffer from this deficiency.
- a sore and red tongue (glossitis)
- a pale yellow tinge to your skin
- mouth ulcers
- changes in the way that you walk and move around
- disturbed vision
- changes in the way you think, feel and behave
- a decline in your mental abilities, such as memory, understanding, and judgment – dementia
- The risk of B12 deficiency increases with age.
The treatment often includes injection or continued injections depending on the severity, the B12 deficiency can also be treated with high doses of oral replacements, supplements.
It is important to say that any nerve damage that happened during the deficiency could stay permanent.
Prevention is simply by eating enough meat, poultry, seafood, dairy products, and eggs.
Complications From Ignoring
- can cause deadly anemia including complications like nerve damage, neurological problems, and gastrointestinal issues. It can also affect the immune system severely
- can lead to psychological issues like depression
- can cause Cardiovascular disease
- can affect fertility