Honey has always been famous for its health benefits. It has so many uses. Manuka honey in particular is considered a superfood. It is derived from the nector of the bees feeding on Leptospermum scoparium which are manuka bushes. They are found in the eastern cape of New Zealand.
The health benefits of manuka honey
– They are used as antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, antiseptic, , antioxidant, anti-inflammatory among others.
– It s used as a native medicine
– Treatment of flu, skin diseases, fever, colds and ulcers
– It is also used as a tea. It has a bitter aroma and taste. But when the leaves dry, both are gone.
James cook was given manuka tea when he found New Zealand. It is healthier than normal honey.
This is because manuka honey has so much sugar in it that bacteria cannot survive in that environment. It has almost no water content. The glucose oxidase adds to its anti bacterial properties. It is rich in as arabinogalactans. This boosts the immune system and release of cytokines which are anti-inflammatory. It is definitely better than normal pharmaceutical drugs.
Its other uses:
– colds and flu
– diseases of the eye and throat
– protecting the gastrointestinal tract
It is a good anti –inflammatory agent. Helps in the growth of blood vessel and gives a lot of nutrients. It also regenerates new skin cells.
The next time you buy manuka honey, look for the UMF label. It stands for ‘unique manuka factor’. It shows the concentration of phenols which inhibit bacterial growth. Always buy one with that label only.
Source: Living Traditionally