Coconut, also known as C. nucifera scientifically, comes from the Arecaceae (Palmae) family. The sub family is cocoideae.
The coconut flesh contains healthy fatty acids. 90% of the fats are medium chain fatty acids. It has very little of poly and mono unsaturated fatty acids.
Why are medium chain fatty acids so good?
It improves neurological health. This is because it can clear the blood brain barrier and that too in its free form. Apart from this, they are easily digested, and utilized by the body.
Unrefined coconut oil is easily available and does not cost much.
The other benefits are:
– An antioxidant
– Nontoxic to humans and animals
– Anti-microbial/ Infection fighting
– Improves nutrient absorption
The uses of coconut oil for personal care:
– Age Spots : they fade away upon application of coconut oil
– After Shave: it does not clog pores after shaving and helps with razor burns
– Baldness : apply coconut oil along with rosemary, castor ,lavender , jojoba, thyme or cedarwood oil three times a day. They will regenerate the cells
– Body Scrub: rub coconut oil along with salt all over your body to make it smooth. Essential oils can also be added.
– Bruises: this oil will help fasten the healing process.
– Bug Bites: it will stop the burning and itching due to a bug bite
– Burns: apply it on the burns until it heals. There will be no scars
– Chapstick : it heals cracked lips and protects from UV rays.
– Cradle Cap: it removes cradle cap and nourishes the baby’s skin
– Dandruff: this oil removes dandruff and always keeps the scalp moisturized
– Deodorant: use it as a deodorant along with baking soda and cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
– Diaper Salve: it will protect against bum rashes and diaper rashes
– Eye cream: it reduces bags, wrinkles and puffiness of the eyes
– Face Wash: mix coconut oil along with other essential oils and use it to wash your face. Leave it on for 2 minutes and rinse.
– Hair conditioner: use is to condition your hair treatment. Take a little oil, apply it on the scalp and move downwards to the tips.
– Hair Gel: apply a little on the scalp and move to the tips and finger comb your hair
– Healing: it heals all kinds of wounds, cuts, burns and bruises. It smells good too.
– Lubricant: it is a good lubricant for sex. It is not compatible with latex though.
– Makeup Remover: it is amazing at removing make up
– Massage Oil: just apply and rub
– Moisturizer: apply it all over your body for the effect
– Nipple Cream: apply it using cotton. It will remove all the cracks and dryness of nipples
– Acne Skin Fix: use a little under your makeup or without make to prevent acne.
– Pre-Shave: good to prevent damage caused by shaving
– Skin Conditions: helps with skin problems like psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis
– Stretch Marks: good to nourish damaged areas of the skin.
– Sun Burn Relief: rub on the affected areas
– Sunscreen: an SPF of 4 is good enough to protect you.
– Swimmers Ear: mix it with garlic oil and put a few drops in your ear. It helps a lot
– Tattoo Healing: it prevents fading of tattoos upon continuous use. It will also help new tattoos areas heal faster
– Wrinkle Prevention: it strengthens the connective tissues of the skin and makes you look young.
For good health and wellness
– Breastfeeding: for new mothers, they can have 3 and half tbsp. of coconut oil every day. It increases milk supply
– Bones and Teeth: helps absorb calcium and magnesium better. Keeps bones and teeth healthy.
– Digestion: helps in absorption of vitamins and mineral better. Prevents indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome.
– Fitness: it will boost metabolism, increase energy and improve thyroid. All this will reduce fat and increase muscle.
– Insulin Support: good for diabetics. Increases insulin release and reduces blood sugar levels.
– Lung Function: the fluidity of cell surface improves
– Nausea: rub some on the inside of forearm and wrist to calm stomach
– Nose bleeds: put some oil in the nostrils. It will heals cracks and burns that are the main cause of nose bleeds.
– Gum Health: it is good for the gums too.
– Stress Relief: apply it on your head and massage in a circular motion for relief.
– Vitamin and nutrient absorption: helps in increased availability of nutrients
– Weight loss:helps reduces cravings and increases weight loss
– Mental Cognition: improves cognition as it passes through the blood brain barrier.
To clear internal health conditions
– Acid Reflux/ Indigestion
– Cancer prevention- colon and breast cancers
– Asthma – even in children
– Cholesterol: improves good and reduces bad cholesterol
– Mild Depression and Cognitive Disease
– Colds and Flues
– Candida Albicans
– Adrenal and Chronic Fatigue
– Bowel functions
– Poor Circulation: apply on the skin in circular motions to improve circulation
– Bronchial Infections
– Cystic Fibrosis: as an anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory agent
– Flaky, Dry Skin: relives dandruff and dry skin
– Hot Flashes
– Lung Disease
– Mental Clarity
– Gallbladder Disease: increases bile flow
– Heart Disease – protects against all heart conditions
– Menstruation Relief – relieves cramps
– Migraines – use regularly
– Stomach Ulcers – soothes the lining of the stomach
– Immune System Builder
– Periodontal Disease
– Prostate Enlargement
– Tooth Decay
– Liver Disease
– Thyroid Function: helps with over or under active thyroid
– Urinary Tract Infections
– Bladder Infections
– Gas: improves gut flora
– pylori- use orally for it
– Irritable Bowel Syndrome
– Kidney Disease and Stones
For topical health problems
– Toenail Fungus
– Head Lice- apply topically
– Acne: relives dry skin and prevents clogging of pores
– Allergies/Hay Fever: put a little inside the nostrils. The pollen will attach to it
– Back Pain
– Athletes Foot
– Sore Muscles
– Boils and Cysts
– Circumcision healing – heals faster upon application
– Decongestant – rub on the nose and chest whenever you feel uncomfortable
– Ear infection : place a few drops along with garlic oil in the ear for relief
– Genital Warts: it usually takes 2 years to cure. Coconut oil may remove it in 6 months
– Gum Disease
– Hives – reduces the itch and swelling
– Pink eye – apply it on the regions surrounding the eye
– Canker Sores – use as toothpaste
For pets and animals:
– Use half a teaspoon for 10 pounds of body weight
– digestive disorders– colitis and IBS
– arthritis or ligament problems
– Clears up skin conditions– eczema, allergies, itchiness, dermatitis
– Relieves cough and hairballs
– Heals cuts, wounds, bruises, bites and stings
– Disinfects cuts
– control diabetes
– Helps reduce weight
– Improves digestion
– increases energy
– for general wellness– add a teaspoon to their food
– treats yeast and fungal infectionsand nutrient absorption makes them energetic
– deodorizes doggy odor
– coat becomes sleek and glossy
– allergic reactions
– eliminates bad breath
– balance insulin
– skin health
– thyroid function
Other beneficial uses:
– Insect repellent: mix with peppermint oil and apply it on the skin. It is the best thing to do for insects
– cleaning leather products
– Chewing Gum in Hair Remover: apply some coconut oil. Leave for half an hour. Roll it out.
– Mix with baking soda and apply it to any sticky area. Remove after some time.
– Moisturizing and Oiling wood cutting boards
– Polishing Bronze: rub a little on the item with a towel and wipe it.
– Seasoning cookware
– Polish Furniture: mix with lemon juice and try it on your furniture.
– Seasoning animal hide drums
– Soap making