We all check product labels before buying to make sure that we are buying something that’s safe for us. But you can never always trust the labels. They could mislead you and you may already be using so many products which are actually not safe. In fact, you may never be aware of what the ingredients are when you check the labels. Many times the manufacturers will not even list the ingredients.
Here are 12 commonly used products containing ingredients which are capable of causing cancer:
1. Talcum Powder from Johnson & Johnson. Inc.
The toxic ingredients listed on its label are:
– Talc – It is not only a lung irritant, it is also a carcinogenic and one of the main risk factors for ovarian cancer.
2. Cover Girl Replenishing Natural Finish Make Up from Procter & Gamble. Inc.
The toxic ingredients listed on the label are as following:
– BHA – It is carcinogenic
– TALC – It is carcinogenic and a lung irritant
– TRIETHANOLAMINE (TEA) – It can enable formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines when it comes in contact with nitrites.
– PARABENS – Can cause contact dermatitis.
– LANOLIN – It is frequently DDT contaminated and various carcinogenic pesticides.
– FRAGRANCE – It has various types of toxic ingredients which are untested and unlabeled. It can also cause contact dermatitis.
3. Crest Tartar Control Toothpaste from Procter & Gamble. Inc.
It has the followed toxic ingredients labeled on it:
– FD&C BLUE #1 – Which is carcinogenic
– FLUORIDE – Which is potentially carcinogenic
– SACCHARIN – Which is also a carcinogenic
4. Alberto VO5 Conditioner (from Essence of Neutral Henna)
The toxic ingredients labeled on it are:
– FORMALDEHYDE – It is neurotoxic, carcinogenic and sensitizer, and can cause contact dermatitis.
– POLYSORBATE 80 – It is mostly contaminated with 1,4-dioxane which is a carcinogen.
– Fragrance – It has so many unrevealed ingredients and can cause contact dermatitis.
– FD&C RED #4 which his carcinogenic.
5. Permanent Haircolor Clairol Nice ‘n Easy from Clairol. Inc.
The list of toxic ingredients labeled on it includes:
– QUATERNlUM-15 – Which is carcinogenic, a formaldehyde-releaser, neurotoxic and sensitizer . It also causes contact dermatitis.
– PHENYLENE-DIAMINES – They have carcinogens and various ingredients which have been poorly tested for carcinogenicity. They have been found to cause contact dermatitis.
– DIETHANOLAMINE (DEA) – This ingredient is carcinogenic, and forms carcinogenic nitrosamine when it comes in contact with nitrites.
– PROPYLENE GLYCOL – It has been found to cause contact dermatitis.
– FRAGRANCE – It has so many unrevealed ingredients, and causes contact dermatitis. (There is also evidence that it can cause various cancers including non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and multiple myeloma).
6. Household Products Ajax Cleanser by Colgate-Palmolive. Inc.
The Ajax Cleanser has the following toxic ingredients which are not labeled at all:
– CRYSTALLINE SILICA – It is not only a lung irritant, it is also skin- and eye-irritant. It is also carcinogenic.
Silica’s carcinogenicity has been listed in the 1994 Material Safety & Data Sheet (MSDS). The manufacturer reports that they have minimized the level of silica since 1993.
7. Zud Heavy Duty Cleanser by Reckitt & Colman. Inc.
This manufacturer also doesn’t care listing these toxic ingredients in its Zud Heavy Duty Cleanser:
– CRYSTALLINE SILICA – As already mentioned, this silica is lung, skin and eye irritant. (Its carcinogenicity has been denied in the MSDS).
8. Lysol Disinfectant Spray by Reckitt & Colman. Inc.
This disinfectant spray has the following toxic ingredient labeled/unlabeled on it:
– ORTHOPHENYLPHENOL (OPP) – It is an irritant and also carcinogenic. (MSDS denies its carcinogenicity).
9. Zodiac Cat & Dog Flea Collar by Sandoz Agro. Inc.
This flea collar for your pet has the following toxic ingredient labeled on it:
PROPOXUR – It is neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
10. Ortho Weed-B-Gon Lawn Weed Killer by Monsanto Co.
It has the following toxic ingredient labeled on it:
– SODIUM 2,4-DICHLOROPHENOXYACETATE (2,4-D) – It is carcinogenic and evidence has been found of its relaxed relation with various cancers including lymphoma and soft tissue sarcoma. It is also a reproductive toxin and neurotoxic.
11. Food Beef Frankfurters
The best example is the Food Beef Frankfurters from Oscar Mayer Foods Corporation. They have the following toxic ingredients which have been unlabeled:
– BENZENE HEXACHLORIDE – It is carcinogenic.
– DIELDRIN – It is not only carcinogenic it is also a xenoestrogen.
– DACTHAL – It is carcinogenic (can also be dioxin contaminated). It is also a powerful sensitizer and irritant.
– DDT – Food Beef Frankfurters also contain DDT, which is carcinogenic and a xenoestrogen.
– HEXACHLOROBENZENE – It is carcinogenic, teratogenic and neurotoxic.
– HEPTACHLOR – It is both neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
– LINDANE – It is both neurotoxic and carcinogenic, and can also damage blood-forming cells.
– ANTIBIOTICS – Certain antibiotics are carcinogenic, and cause drug resistance and allergies.
– HORMONES – They can also have hormones that have feminizing effects on you. They are also carcinogenic.
All these above-mentioned harmful ingredients are unlabeled on Food Beef Frankfurters.
The labeled toxic ingredient in Food Beef Frankfurters includes:
– NITRITE – It can interact with the meat amines and result in the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines. This is a big risk factor associated with childhood cancers.
12. Whole Milk
Examples include whole milk from Lucerne and Borden.
Whole milk has the following toxic ingredients unlabeled on it:
– DDT –It is a xenoestrogen and also carcinogenic.
– HEPTACHLOR – It is both neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
– DIELDRIN – It is a xenoestrogen, is carcinogenic, and also a reproductive toxin.
– HEXACHLOROBENZENE – It is also a reproductive toxin and is carcinogenic. But it is also neurotoxic.
– ANTIBIOTICS – Certain antibiotics are carcinogenic. Some of them also cause drug resistance and allergies.
– RECOMBINANT BOVINE GROWTH HORMONE & IGF-1 – They are risk factors for cancers of colon, breast and prostate.