For a small earning family, leftovers is a good way of saving money on fresh foodstuff. It also helps that little time is spent in the kitchen by his wife as all that is required is for the leftovers to be warmed with your microwave oven and it’s ready to eat.
The only ones that may not be too happy with leftovers are his children, except of course it’s a favourite meal of theirs that is leftover.
It is not all meals that you should consume as a leftover as there are some foodstuff that are toxic if they are not eaten fresh.
Here are some of these foods:
The Food Standards Agency say that uncooked rice may have harmful spores acquired from its storage that can survive the initial cooking process. However, if the cooked rice is not kept at the right temperature these spores could become active and multiply leading to digestive issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.
Eat all your rice the day it is cooked and if you can’t finish the cooked rice then store in a fridge.
– Vegetable Oil
You increase your risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease when you reheat and consume leftover meals made with vegetable oil.
When you repeatedly heat up polyunsaturated oils which have linoleic acid like soybean, corn, sunflower oils and canola, there is an instantaneous release of a harmful toxic compound known as 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal (HNE) which is a fatty acid-derived toxin.
This compound has been linked to the following health issues;
– Huntington’s disease
– Liver problems
– Cardiovascular disease
– Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease
The way green leafy veggies are stored can make them extremely harmful.
The Center for Food Safety stated that leftover veggies should be stored at temperatures of 4 degrees Celsius or below. If the vegetables are to be stored for a period of 12 hours then it’s advisable that you freeze them.
Vegetables such as celery, spinach, beets and lettuce have high amounts of nitrate which metabolize to nitrites which are dangerous, this is due to the action of bacteria that act on the vegetables and occurs when veggies are left at room temperature for long.
The consumption of nitrites can lead to a blood disorder referred to as methaemoglobinaemia and the symptoms of this disorder include;
– shortness of breath
Source: The Hearty Soul