Sauerkraut has many uses for our health. It is nothing but sour cabbage. It can prevent stroke, cancer and heart attack. It boosts digestion as well.
Vitamin C in sauerkraut
It is high in vitamin C. that is why sailors always took it with them. It prevent scurvy, a known vitamin C deficiency disease.
As a probiotic
Sauerkraut is probiotic. This is because it sours. Any kind of fermented food is probiotic. It supplies good bacteria to your gut. One must always have it along with antibiotics. This increases the gut flora.
It has three ingredients in it which fight cancer.
Glucosinolate: it is a natural antioxidant
Isothiocyanate: it has anti-cancer properties
Flavonoids: protects arteries from any kind of damage
For a better heart
Sauerkraut is rich in fibers. This helps with digestion. It is good for the brain and heart. It also controls LDL cholesterol, prevents stroke and heart attack and prevents arteriosclerosis.
For the bones
It is rich in vitamin K. it protects the bones and prevents osteoporosis. It regulates the levels of proteins which keeps the bones healthy.
To control weight
It helps with weight loss. It boosts metabolism. It fight lipid metabolism, inflammation and obesity.
Recipe to make Sauerkraut:
It is better to make your own Sauerkraut. This is because tinned and canned ones have lost their benefits.
Here is how to make it on your own.
– Large green cabbage: 2
– Unrefined sea salt: 2 tbsp
– Take out the core of the cabbage
– Mix cabbage and salt and toss them. Knead them together. This will break the cellular structure of cabbage.
– The cabbage juice starts coming out. Pack it tightly into a vegetable fermenter or a large glass jar.
– Continue kneading it until the cabbage is settled below its juice. This is important for its fermentation. Do not expose it to air. This will cause contamination with microbes.
– Cover it loosely and let it stay for one to six months.
– Taste it every some time. Once you feel it is ready, refrigerate it.
The preparation time is only 20 minutes and you can make up to 1 gallon at a time.