This is one recipe that everyone should know about. Simply because it is so easy to make. It is the recipe of making peasant bread. This knowledge will change your life.
It is wonderful when you want to throw a party at home. People love homemade bread and can go crazy over it. You can fun explaining to them how you made it at home. Nobody will believe you.
Your guests will wonder if you are a magician with breads. Along with this, add a salad and some cheese and your dinner is ready to be served. If you get it right, wonderful; but if you don’t, no problem, people would still eat it.
The best part about making this bread is that there is no need to knead it. It can be made in 3 hours. Pyrex bowls can be used to make it. Your golden, crispy bready should be ready in no time. A buttery crust will make your guests drool over it.
Once you know the recipe, I’m sure you will using it in your next party.
Make your yeast active by sprinkling warm water over it with some sugar for about 10 minutes. It becomes foamy and the dough will rise easily.
– 2 cups lukewarm water
– 2 teaspoons kosher salt
– 4 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons active-dry yeast
– 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar
– room temperature butter- 2 tbsp
you can use 485 grams of flour. Or you can use a little lesser as well. For the flour, you can use 1 cup graham flour and 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour. Initially use the all purpose flour and then start trying combinations. Scoop the flour one by one. Do not measure altogether if you are a novice. Level it with a knife.
Do not use boiling water for the yeast. It will kill it. First heat some water, then add some cold water to it. This will make the water lukewarm. Use it for the yeast.
All varieties of yeast work. You can store them in the freezer and they can last forever. There is no need to make instant yeast active. It can be used directly.
– To make the dough: for dry-yeast: dissolve sugar in water. Sprinkle yeast. Do not stir. Let it be for 10 minutes. In another bowl, mix flour and salt. When the water-sugar-yeast Is foamy, add it to the flour. Mix well
– For instant yeast- just mix flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add water and flour and mix well.
– Cover it with a towel and leave it for an hour in a warm place. The dough will rise soon. If you live in a cool place, pre-heat the oven at 350 F for one minute and leave it. Place the mixture in it to set.
– Pre heat the oven at 425 F. apply butter as a grease in 2 bowls. Punch down the dough. Try to turn it upside down to remove everything from the edges.
– Using forks, split the dough into two. Transfer it into the two bowls you have ready. It is a bit tricky as the dough will be slippery. Scoop it fast and put it in the bowl.
– Set aside the dough for 20-30 minutes to let it rise. Leave it at room temperature for this. It should rise just above your bowls.
– Bake for 15 minutes at 375F. Place the bread on cooling racks. If the bread looks pale, bake them for 5 more minutes. They should slip out of the bowls easily if you have greased them well.
– Cool for 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
Source: Alexandra Cooks