Your favourite M&M snack causes more harm than good and you should be weary of consuming it.
M&M was created in 1941 by Forrest E. Mars, Sr. and William F.R. Murrie who was the son of the Hershey chocolate’s president.
The brand was coined out of their names. It’s currently being sold in more than 100 countries worldwide and with 33 different fillings.
It was initially created for soldiers who went to battle, to provide them with a source of dark chocolate without it melting in their hands.
By 1976 there was a prohibition on red candies because of the unnatural dyes used. Then FD&C Red #2 used was believed to be carcinogenic but in 1983 red candies were reintroduced. Consumers still urge Mars to get rid of the artificial coloring in their chocolate brand.
They are neurotoxic chemicals this according to Change.org who petitioned their ban and also by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) that had a press release on this issue.
What the CSPI has recommended is that there should be warning labels listing the health risks of these eight authorised FD&C food colors as a condition for the sake of products with harmful ingredients.
The Composition Of M&M
– Soy lecithin, milk chocolate (sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, milkfat, skim milk, lactose, salt, artificial color), sugar, corn starch, >1% corn syrup, dextrin, artificial colors (Blue 1 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Blue 1, gum acacia, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 2).
The Dangers Of These Components
– Soy lecithin – it is a known fact that 93% of soy is genetically modified and it can lead to; fertility issues, breast cancer, cerebral and behavioural defects.
– Blue #1 – in rats it was discovered that it produced malignant tumors at the site of injection as well as when ingested. It can also cause in humans; low blood pressure, hives, allergic reaction, asthma and hay fever.
– Red #40 – this can cause the following ailments; hives, cancer, DNA damage, hyperactivity in children and mouth swelling.
– Yellow #6 – this chemical can cause vomiting, nettle rash, swelling of skin, hyperactivity in children, diarrhea, allergies, migraines and cancer.
– Yellow #5 – it can lead to the following; allergic reactions, hyperactivity in children and cancer.
– Blue #2 – it is believed to be responsible for; brain tumors in lab rats, hyperactivity in children and increased abnormal cell growth and development.
– Gum Acacia – the dietary fiber derived from the Acacia tree can cause nausea, gas, bloating and loose stool.
Mars gas constantly used these artificial colors despite the health risks to consumers.
In a 2007 Forbes report it was stated that Mars made an income of $27.4 million dollars.
We would hope that Mars explores more natural and healthy coloring alternatives since we know that they have the finance to fund research into this.
In the meantime you might just want to focus on more natural dark chocolate alternatives.
Here are three brands you can try out today.
– Equal Exchange: this is 100% organic and a truly good option.
– Sweetriot: it does not include GMO ingredients.
– Good Cacao: these are supplement-enhanced chocolate bars that are truly great and a better alternative to M&M.