If you have ever laid in bed and suddenly you experience a soft of tightening of your muscles and even very painful muscle contractions which may extend for quite a number of minutes, then this article is for you.
What Causes This Experience?
What causes this experience is quite simply leg cramps.
While leg cramps do not have any long lasting health implications, they do cause discomfort and quite a few sleepless nights.
Some of the causes of leg cramps include flat feet, dehydration, and excessive alcohol intake and in more severe cases kidney disease.
Other causes of leg cramps include:
- Stress caused by engaging in rigorous exercise
- Muscle strain and trauma
- Poor posturing for an extended period of time
- The use of certain medications and drugs such as steroids, birth control pills and diuretics.
- Deficiency in magnesium, calcium and potassium can cause leg cramps
- Leg cramps can be caused by your body shivering in response to a cold weather.
Are There Any Homemade Recipes To Combat Muscle Cramps?
There are homemade recipes you can try today to stop those muscle cramps from cutting short your nights rest.
Here are a few of such natural remedies.
Using Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is rich in magnesium and this mineral helps to relax your muscles and it also aids healing.
What you need to do is…
- Make sure you have your bathtub filled with warm water.
- Put in two cups of your epson salt and ensure that you stir the water very well.
- Get in the bathtub and stay in the water for a period of about 20 minutes.
- If you don’t notice significant improvements, you can repeat the procedure twice a week until you see changes.
However, if you suffer from diabetes heart issues and high blood pressure then it is advisable for you not to use Epsom salt.
Effective Yellow Mustard
Just like Epsom salt mustard is rich in magnesium which is effective in dealing with leg cramps.
Mustard also has acetic acid and this compound will help to boost acetylcholine production in the body.
Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter responsible for your muscles being active.
This recipe is referred to as Nuvia’s Cramps Recipe.
- Cloves – 1 tablespoon
- Rosemary – 1 tablespoon
- Anise seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Oregano – 1 tablespoon
- Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and add only two cups of clean drinking water.
- Place the saucepan on a stove and bring the ingredients to a boil on a low heat and for a few minutes until the water left in the saucepan is only about half a cup.
- Take the saucepan off the stove and pour the mixture in a mug.
- Drink this tea whilst it’s warm, for best results take this tea prior to you going to bed.
You should also note that dehydration is a cause of leg cramps, so try to stay hydrated all day by drinking sufficient amounts of water.
Source: Life Health and Food