If there is one exercise that anyone can readily practice it is walking.
While it is a fact that walking exercise can help you to lose weight it is important that you understand what amount of walking exercise is needed to achieve this feat.
It is now known that if you regularly engage in walking exercise for 5 months you will lose 20 pounds.
With a good balanced diet and regular exercise you will go a long way to shedding excess weight.
Here’s how to lose weight with walking exercise.
First you need to know that the calories you burn while engaging in walking exercise are influenced by two factors namely:
- Your body weight
- Your walking pace
If you walk at a pace or an average speed of 4 miles an hour you will burn off 400 calories in no time.
To be able to achieve this you can get a pedometer so you get accurate readings while you walk.
You should also practice good eating habits and maintain a balanced diet.
So What Is A Pedometer?
A pedometer is a device used to monitor your pace, time and number of miles walked which is necessary if you want to shed weight and can be worn on your waist. It is also highly recommended by the American Medical Association.
Steps You Can Take To Lose Weight
You can try out these steps today;
- In 1 mile you can burn 100 calories in just 2,000 steps.
- Note that 1 pound is equivalent to 3,500 calories.
- So if you lose weight of 1 pound per week which is equivalent to 500 calories a day.
- It is ideal that if you want to lose 1 pound in a week you will engage in 10,000 steps per day.
You should try to make your walking exercise as interesting as possible by doing the following;
- You can engage in walking exercise with a friend, colleague, family member or neighbour.
- Try walking new routes everyday.
- Listen to music while walking.
- You can walk at home using a treadmill and listen to music or watch a T.V program in the process.
- Walk to work each day if your place of work is not far.
- Try using the stairwell rather than an elevator.
- Avoid using your car, a taxi or bus.
Adopt A Walking Style That Works
You can achieve maximum results from walking by focusing your eyes about 100 feet ahead with your chin up.
Make sure to squeeze your glutes as well as tighten your abdomen in the process.
So How Frequently Should You Walk?
Ensure that you consult your doctor before engaging in walking exercise, walk for between 15 and 20 minutes and for three days per week at the start of your walking regime.
Thereafter you can increase your walking time to 30 to 60 minutes daily for maximum results.
Other included sources linked in Healthy Food Team’s article: