Often times we tend to have a buildup of gastric acid and require some sort of treatment to hinder the unpleasant effects of the gastric acid accumulation. We normally would get an over-the-counter drug that can protect us from this problem and one medication that is commonly used is omeprazole.
While it is acknowledged that once in a while we need to keep our intestinal flora regulated, as the good bacteria in our guts can get out of hand from time to time, causing us to have digestive issues. We, however, do not need to do this to the detriment of our overall health, omeprazole which is common in most homes in the United States is actually a very harmful drug.
The Health Hazards Of Omeprazole
Omeprazole limits our body’s ability to absorb vitamin B12 when it is consumed for an extensive period of time and a deficiency of this essential vitamin can lead to the following health concerns;
- Neurological damage leading to degenerative ailments like dementia
- Depletion in our red blood cell count.
- Chronic fatigue caused by low red blood cells which are responsible for conveying oxygen throughout our body.
- It can cause damage to our central nervous system.
- Omeprazole causes rapid loss of calcium in our bodies causing a condition known as osteoporosis or brittle bone syndrome, where a person is prone to broken bones or fractures easily.
- A calcium shortage can cause muscle issues.
- It causes an increased risk of respiratory issues, such as shortness of breath, wheezing, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation, and congestion.
In a study conducted on the health dangers of omeprazole by theKaiser Permanente Institute based in the United States of America. Over 26,000 test subjects were monitored every day, as they consumed varying amounts of omeprazole within a period of two years. It was discovered that the rest subjects that had consumed omeprazole were at risk of having vitamin B12 deficiency by as much as 65% when compare to individuals that do not make use of the medication. Suggesting that omeprazole is extremely detrimental to your health and should be avoided for use as a gastric protector.
Source: Home Healthy Recipes