Everyone loves marshmallows especially when you go camping. These treats are fat-free but loaded with lots of refined sugar.
It is estimated that one regular marshmallow has 4 grams of sugar added to it.
In reality we tend to consume loads of marshmallows when outdoors and when we combine this with hot chocolate then we are looking at about 29 grams of refined sugar which can be quantified as about 400 calories and when you compare this to the recommended daily requirement of 10 grams, then it’s alarming.
What Are The Implications Of Excess Sugar?
Excessive sugar can raise your calorie levels and cause obesity and weight gain. The sad truth is that foods that have a high sugar content just like marshmallows usually are not nutritious.
Foods with a high sugar content usually are responsible for the following ailments;
- Oral health problems, like plaque and cavities
- Heart related diseases
- Food addictions
- Raised cholesterol levels
- Cancers such as pancreatic cancer
- Diabetes and insulin resistance
Check Out These Healthy Marshmallows Recipes You Can Try Out Yourself Today
You can have your marshmallows honey sweetened and with additional flavors added such as chocolate or even coconut.
Here’s what is needed and how it’s done;
- Gelatin – 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Cold water – 1/2 cup
- Pure natural honey – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/8 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tablespoon
- Get a loaf pan and grease it slightly.
- You should then cover with parchment paper and let it hang over the sides of the pan.
- Grease the parchment paper.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of water in a bowl and then sprinkle some gelatin over the water.
- Leave it to soften, then in a small pot you can then put the salt, honey and about a 1/4 cup of water.
- You then heat on medium heat, you can use a candy thermometer to ensure that the mixture gets to a boil at 240 degrees.
- Test by dribbling some of the mixture in a bowl of ice cold water.
- By now it will form little soft balls as it gets to the candy stage when it is cooled with water and then taken out. In 7 to 8 minutes it would have attained this temperature. You should then take it off from the heat once it is at the right temperature.
- You should use a hand mixer on low speed. Then carefully mix the hot syrup into the gelatin mix by pouring out the hot syrup so it drizzles down the side of the bowl.
- Next add your vanilla then raise the speed of the mixing, beat for about 15 minutes or once the mixture is fluffy and soft.
- You should then scrape the prepared pan and leave it uncovered for a maximum of 12 hours to dry.
- Leaving it overnight is ideal, you can then cut it into square shapes and serve.
For a coconut flavor just toast about 1/2 a cup of unsweetened coconut flakes.
Then sprinkle 1/2 of it on the bottom of the pan.
Scarper in the marshmallow mixture and then sprinkle it with the rest of the coconut flakes.
For the cocoa flavored marshmallows just roll and cut out the marshmallows in cocoa powder.
Source: Healthy Holistic Leaving