Eczema is a medical condition which causes skin irritation or inflammation. Also known as Atopic Dermatitis, or Atopic Eczema, it renders the person suffering from this disease to get itchy, red and inflamed rashes over their wrists, knees, face or all over the body. Symptomatically, it is characterized by intense itching which may lead to bleeding due to excessive scratching. It affects 10-20% of infants and 3% of adults in America.
Though there are many treatment options available in the forms of creams and lotions, these OTC drugs and creams may have side effects which can prove detrimental to us. Alternatively, a safer option would be using apple cider vinegar instead.
Apple cider vinegar has many properties, which makes it a suitable ingredient to be used in fighting against eczema. The following properties will be able to convince us further as to why apple cider vinegar is good for the skin.
- It contains beta-carotene which can enhance the renewal of the cells, which will heal the eczema-afflicted skin
- It has antifungal and antibacterial properties which can kill bacteria that cause eczema. It will inhibit the growth of these bacteria which cause eczema.
- It strengthens the immune system, as it contains mineral salts, acetic acid, vitamin B1, pectin, minerals, and riboflavin. These compounds enhance the function of the immune system, which can deter eczema.
- Apple cider vinegar contains a lot of fiber, aside from vitamins and minerals, to help remove toxins from the body
- It contains a high level of potassium, which helps maintain the pH balance of the skin. Maintaining pH balance is an important component in treating eczema and other allergic conditions
- It treats dry skin, which is the main cause of eczema. Apple cider vinegar can also relieve the itching sensation, which causes extreme discomfort in people with the skin problem.
Ways to use apple cider vinegar in treating eczema
#1: Apple cider vinegar bath
Using an ACV bath can help relieve your eczema. You will need a bathtub filled with warm water, ½ a cup of apple cider vinegar, and a moisturizer.
Apply the apple cider vinegar into your bathtub, along with warm water. Soak your body in the solution for 10-15 minutes, and pat dries the skin afterward with a clean towel. You can put on the moisturizer to alleviate the dry skin. Results can be seen if you follow through with the remedy every day. For dry patches on the skin, add some sunflower oil to the bath.
#2: Apple cider vinegar diluted in water
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and antifungal properties which can directly treat the skin, bringing relief for those suffering from eczema.
You will need 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp. of water, and at least 3 cotton balls.
Mix the apple cider vinegar and water in a small bowl. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly. Soak the cotton balls in it, and apply the mixture on eczema affected areas of the body. Repeat the process until the desired results are achieved. You can dilute the apple cider vinegar to water if you have extremely sensitive skin.
#3: Apple cider vinegar and honey
Honey has been used for such a long time in the treatment of skin diseases. It contains antibacterial properties which can be used to kill the bacteria causing eczema. Honey can prevent infection, promote wound healing, and reduce the intensity of inflammation and irritation on the skin. Apple cider vinegar, combined with honey will enhance the remedy for people with severe eczema.
You will need 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp. of honey and a glass of water.
Mix the glass of water, apple cider vinegar, and honey together, and ingest it. It can be taken three times a day, with meals, until the desired results are achieved!
#4: Apple cider vinegar with baking soda
Apple cider vinegar, added with baking soda will increase the pH level of the mixture. An alkaline pH will prevent the growth of bacteria which causes eczema, solving the issue easily.
Prepare 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp. of honey, ½ cup of water and ¼ tsp. of baking soda.
Add water to apple cider vinegar, and baking soda. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and drink it, till the eczema is removed completely from your skin. Add honey if you feel like improving on its taste.
#5: Oral apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, when taken orally can promote our immune system’s strength, preventing eczema from recurring.
All you need are 2 tbsp. if apple cider vinegar and one cup of water. Mix these two ingredients well and drink it 2-3 times a day.
Do note, however, that due to its high acidic content, apple cider vinegar should be avoided by people with heartburn, peptic ulcers, or indigestion problems. Taking ACV may worsen your medical condition!
Additional tips for apple cider vinegar
– Apple cider vinegar is better when taken diluted, as it is a strong compound. Burning sensations on the skin may occur if you take it orally, and undiluted
– If you aren’t sure of your allergic status towards ACV, go for a patch test to ensure that apple cider vinegar is safe for you.
– Use unpasteurized, raw apple cider vinegar, in treating your skin conditions, as it would be more effective.
– Apple cider vinegar should be avoided orally by people with diabetes and on the medications.
– It should also be avoided by breast feeding mothers and pregnant women. Oral apple cider vinegar may be transferred to their babies.
– Refrain from milk, peanuts, wheat, fish and eggs which can exacerbate eczema.
– Take measures to control sweating, which can worsen eczema
– Ensure that the skin is adequately moisturized.
– Scratching eczema affected skin will lead to more damage and infection.
– Stress may cause eczema too. Partake in stress-reduction activities
– Lifestyles changes are important when dealing with eczema. A balanced diet and physical activities, along with a healthy amount of sleep will keep eczema at bay.
– Reduce friction between cloth and skin by opting for looser-fitting clothes
– Harsh soaps and perfumes may be irritants to the skin, which will cause more damage. Avoid them.
Eczema that does not subside after all the home remedies used, may require more intense interventions. Consult a dermatologist for further help.
Apple cider vinegar, however, is able to alleviate and treat your eczema, especially if you prefer to use a more natural alternative. Make sure you have a bottle of apple cider vinegar at hand and avoid the drug and chemical-laden creams and drugs!
Source: Rapid Home Remedies