While potatoes are generally a staple food for a lot of people globally as they are both tasty and highly nutritional.
However, this crop can also be a source of concern to the health of people if they are left in your kitchen for an extended length of time.
This was proven to be true in a story about the death of an entire family in Russia in 2014.
This family had some potatoes which they had stored up in their cellar and had completely forgotten it was there, the potatoes eventually rotted and the glycoalkaloid in the potatoes were released and the conditions in the cellar made this toxic compound extremely dangerous.
The man of the house went down to the cellar to pick some potatoes and was exposed to this toxic compound and died, his wife also died after going to the cellar to check on her husband, then her son and finally their grandmother who had raised an alarm to their neighbours before going to the cellar herself.
All that was left of this family was a little girl of 8 years named Maria Chelysheva who was spared from death as she did not go into the cellar.
Glycoalkaloid is a highly toxic compound that is also in the nightshade plant which is known to be very poisonous.
This compound is poisonous when it is eaten but as in the case of the tragedy in Russia it can get airborne to devastating effect where it is inhaled.
In the case of potatoes glycoalkaloid levels rise when the crop rots and the consequence of this is the very toxic and highly fatal gas that is emitted from it.
It is very important that you do not store up your potatoes for a long period of time, but instead consume them not long after buying them or buy just the quantity you require for consumption over a short period of time.
This way you can avert the risk of being exposed to glycoalkaloid poisoning as in the case of this hapless family.