Tendinitis is a term used to describe shoulder pain. It is a fairly common problem with people of all ages but even more so with the elderly. As you age you become more susceptible to muscle strain and tear as they weaken. Your shoulders can easily be prone to both tendinitis and bursitis which are both caused by an inflammation in your shoulders.
If you want to prevent these shoulder pains you will have to reduce the inflammation as well as avoid engaging in strenuous activities that will further cause damage to your shoulders and prolong healing.
You can follow these safety and healing tips to prevent and soothe shoulder pains:
- You can use an ice pack compress on your shoulders, make sure to place the compress on your shoulders for about a quarter of an hour and also repeat as many times as you can to ease the pain.
- If you have shoulder pains try to stay clear of any physical activity fora period of seven days or until the pains are gone.
- You can simply massage your shoulder area to soothe the pain.
- You can consult a physiotherapist to help you overcome shoulder pains.
- Your doctor fan recommend target specific exercises to help you gain relief from your shoulder pains.
- Try to avoid putting a sudden strain on your shoulders like trying to stretch in order to pick an item from a shelf. Get someone to help you with this.
- Try to avoid lifting heavy objects.
- You should always be aware of the signals your body sends, if you are not comfortable in a particular sitting position at home or at work, you should immediately alternate your position to avoid straining your muscles.
- Only lift objects that are within your reach.
- You can also try out this exercise:
- First, let your shoulder be placed on a door or wall.
- You can cushion your shoulders and avoid unnecessary pain by placing a folded soft cloth or towel on the door or wall.
- You should then carefully extend your shoulder in the opposite direction.
- Slowly but surely apply some force as you stretch your shoulder.
- Try this stretching exercise two times a day and make sure you apply and maintain pressure to your shoulder for a period of 15 seconds on each exercise.
Source: Natural Healing Magazine